this is a repost from my old site.
The RHEL/CentOS line only supports Python 2.4, and as it’s an integral part of yum and many other packages, any installation of new Pythons will require parallel installation.
(Note : Currently, the 2.5 and 2.6 RPMs cannot both be installed without an RPM –force)
TODO : Repository URL & GPG signing
As for the RPMs themselves :
- Python 2.6 – Built from Fedora Core 11 Alpha
- Python 2.51 – Built from Fedora Core 10 (by Bashton)
Neither of these packages fully pass the Python test suite (import test.autotest).
That being said, we’ve been using the Python 2.5 package, released by Bashton, in production for a while now, and we haven’t seen any problems.
4 tests failed: test_distutils test_email test_email_renamed test_nis
I don’t know about email, but there are patches for CentOS/Fedora against distutils, so I expect that’s why it fails the test.
For Python 2.6, note the following :
- I had to gimp autoconf’s version detection to force it to use 2.59. This may have unintended consequences
- This RPM uses patches from the Fedora Core 11 Alpha release. (python-2.6-4.fc11 specifically). As Fedora updates this package, I’ll release updates. (Feel free to email to remind.)
Just install the RPMs for the version that you want. You’ll need at least the base python version package and the libs package.
To start Python 2.6, type python26 at your commandline rather than python. (Your original Python 2.4 is still installed.)
If you’re installing packages with setuptools, make sure to use the correct python version. (i.e. python26 setup.py install)
If you’d like to build an x86_64, call rpmbuild –rebuild with the appropriate arch setting.
- Just called sir at the airport parking lot – by the sort of person who calls any stranger sir (I'm one of them). Disturbing nonetheless. #
- @randbot congrats! in reply to randbot #
- @boogah I love that area. Go by Cambria next time, ask I know a little inn there to die for. in reply to boogah #
- @boogah @egradman I've used Dreamhost PS and I was decently impressed. in reply to boogah #
- Leaving for San Jose for the Billy Joel/Elton John concert tonight. Bonus : Going with one of my dearest friends from undergrad. #
- @boogah off the top of my head, visit
think it's Little Sur Inn. Do visit Cambria on this trip- eat at Robin's or Wild Ginger. Have fun! in reply to boogah #
- @boogah If I didn't have 20 of my own servers, I'd be using PS more. That link is neat! in reply to boogah #
- Elton John and Billy Joel – "Dont let the sun go down" http://twitpic.com/13pik5 #
- @rebelprince Totally random, but I'm with Tara right now! in reply to rebelprince #
- "I'm Billy Joel's dad. Billy was sick today, but I know all of his shit. You've got to be saying, man, he's old!" – Billy Joel #
- @lifeofreilly I am. in reply to lifeofreilly #
- @HilaryAndrew teehee in reply to HilaryAndrew #
- RT @codinghorror: "all email responses regardless of recipient or subject will be five sentences or less" http://five.sentenc.es – hmm #
- @gregvaneekhout are there any pirates or monkeys near by? Or better yet – Monkees? in reply to gregvaneekhout #
- @stevenswei Andrew used to use Amazon Mechanical Turk to do translations. It went … okay. in reply to stevenswei #
- Rate of increase :
Amount of things I can do simultaneously:linear.
This is cruel. #
- @timiat Pink Martini "hang on little tomato". Billy Joel "The Stranger" in reply to timiat #
- Mai Tai's, Blue Hawaiian's and Hawaiian Punch. But what drink to make for the sugar/rum overloaded? Margaritas? Whiskey Sours? #
- @lifeofreilly @HilaryAndrew @Colleenky @gregvaneekhout @dustchick @keltraine – Jonathan Coulton at the Largo! Whoo hoo! in reply to lifeofreilly #
- @lifeofreilly grin. They are some hot geek women. in reply to lifeofreilly #
Powered by Twitter Tools
- Hmm, viagra order
Suzanne Vega is in town right now, performing tonight at Chico.. #
- @MartianFrmPlnV wowie! For what! in reply to MartianFrmPlnV #
- I think this may be my favorite VHS tape ever. http://twitpic.com/15j00m #
- @Madrox you made my day. in reply to Madrox #
- @andysternberg because folks are afraid of bad education, being homeless or unemployed. Not that I agree… in reply to andysternberg #
- @mikeprasad neat idea! in reply to mikeprasad #
Powered by Twitter Tools
- Oh, cialis 40mg
my, what a party. Can I turn 29 again? *glee* #
- @Madrox now I'm curious. #
- @heathervescent I hear you. I feel like a well intentioned foreign exchange student half the them. Thankfully people are often kind. in reply to heathervescent #
- Sorely needing is a process for organizing the various business ideas that come up. Need to prioritize, archive, develop, followup. Ideas? #
- @jory would love to know if you get any great advice. in reply to jory #
- All about the PyCon wireless network : http://www.tummy.com/Community/Articles/pycon2010-network/ #
- @gregvaneekhout I suspect it's not that we're stupider or crazier, but we're just being exposed to larger groups of people. Selection bias. in reply to gregvaneekhout #
- @brentbushnell Know if they're still interested in applicants — this looks *amazing* in reply to brentbushnell #
- I just bought the Mac Heist bundle. 7 Top Mac apps worth $260+ for only $20 and got 3 cool bonus apps free! http://bit.ly/heist-it #
- @gregvaneekhout I've never been there before – looks awesome! in reply to gregvaneekhout #
- I don't understand why 50-60 year olds insist upon telling me about the the state of the art in tech, while they're not aware of Linux. #
Powered by Twitter Tools